Sustainability is on everyone’s agenda.
The reality of climate breakdown is unavoidable. It’s everywhere in the news and the pressure is building on governments, businesses, and individuals to live and act with more sustainability.
You might think that individuals cannot make a difference, but we all have to make an effort if we want to conserve the living world as we know it.
The majority of us know this, as well. In March 2019, we commissioned independent research that found 76% of people are either somewhat or very concerned about their carbon footprint. 84% of us consider the impact our purchases and lifestyles have on the planet.
Sustainability can be easier said than done, though. With a problem so enormous (and often so intangible) as climate breakdown, it can feel impossible to know where to start. When you do begin researching, you can end up with more questions than when you started.
- Do I really have to give up my bacon sandwich at breakfast? (This vegan copywriter says yes, definitely 😉)
- What do I do if I can’t afford to buy an electric car or cycle everywhere?
- Am I meant to stop going on holiday?
- Going off grid isn’t exactly achievable, is it?
- Plastic is everywhere – how am I meant to cut it out?
You’re not alone if, after looking at the extremes people go to, you’ve felt overwhelmed by trying to be kinder to the planet. You can be stumped by sustainability before you even get started.
This is why we’ve come up with the #SmallChanges pledge to protect the planet. We don’t believe you should become a hermit with a diet made up exclusively of grass and sadness, we believe that you can make small but significant changes to your everyday habits – and make a big difference by doing so.
So, what do #SmallChanges look like?
- Meatless Monday – cutting down your meat intake is good for the planet and, according to the latest research, your health. You don’t need to go cold turkey, though. Start with a promise to go one day a week without any meat. Dropping just 110g of beef from your weekly diet saves the same amount of CO2 as produced by driving 348 miles.
- Be a sustainable driver – not everyone can afford an electric car, not everyone can cycle, not everyone can give up driving. That doesn’t mean you can’t make your driving greener. Lightfoot can help you improve your car’s efficiency by as much as 20%. A smoother driving style helped Lightfoot users across the UK save over 3,500 tonnes of CO2 in 2018 alone. It just goes to show, sustainability is a team effort.
- Keep it local – instead of a holiday abroad every year, mix it up with a ‘staycation’ every other year. There are some stunning places to see around the UK that people forget to consider when booking their summer holidays. You can even sneak in some amazing road trips while you’re at it.
- Go renewable – there are many energy companies offering renewable energy tariffs. They are often actually cheaper than the ‘Big Six’, as well. Have a look at Bulb, Ecotricity, OVO, Good Energy, Green Energy UK, and Tonik – an alternative Big Six. There are plenty of others out there too, so do your research (and please don’t take these suggestions as an endorsement).
- Pass on plastic – going completely plastic-free is a crazy thought but you can make some simple changes to drastically cut down on common disposable plastics in your life. It could be investing in a stainless steel water bottle or bamboo coffee cup, it could be refusing straws with your fancy cocktails or carrying a canvas bag. To have the greatest effect, work out where you use the most disposable plastics and address those areas.
What #SmallChanges will you make?
Saving the planet is something we all need to be involved in – but it doesn’t mean you have to face a seismic shift in the way you live.
Share your commitment to adopting #SmallChanges that can make a big difference.
- I’m making #SmallChanges to protect our planet – will you?
- I’m making #SmallChanges by going meat-free on Mondays – will you?
- I’m making #SmallChanges by being a sustainable driver – will you?
- I’m making #SmallChanges by keeping it local – will you?
- I’m making #SmallChanges by going renewable – will you?
- I’m making #SmallChanges by passing on plastic – will you?
Tweet it, Instagram it, send messenger pigeons and smoke signals… However you want to shout about it, make sure you do it loudly!